Broughton House
16 High Street
Lewes
BN7 2LN

01273 476750
07866 818505

email us

Attractions to visit - in Lewes

Lewes Castle Lewes Castle was begun soon after 1066 by William de Warenne as his stronghold in Sussex but not completed until 300 years later with the building of the magnificent Barbican. A later owner of the castle was Thomas Read Kemp, local MP and the architect of Brighton's Kemptown. Barbican House Museum now houses the Sussex Archaeological Society's archaeology collections, a changing temporary exhibition gallery and a specialist bookshop providing books on all aspects of history and archaeology. During the summer, the castle garden provides a magnificent stage for theatrical, musical and interpretation events for all the family.
Priory Ruins Lewes Priory was founded in 1077 by William de Warren and his wife Gundrada, and richly endowed by them and became very wealthy. It was the first Clunian Foundation in England. The church was 420ft long by 69 feet wide, a whole host of eminent men became Priors of Lewes. Eventually in 1537 the Priory was demolished by an Italian Engineer on the orders of the Royal Vandal Henry VIII.
Anne of Cleves House Anne of Cleves House is a 16th century timber-framed Wealden hall-house that formed part of Anne's divorce settlement from Henry VIII in 1541. The house contains wide-ranging collections of Sussex interest, including Sussex pottery, and the bedroom and kitchen are furnished to reflect an earlier period.
Malling Down Nature Reserve A great spot for Bird watching in Lewes. On a site which was formally the old Lewes Railway line. Recently redeveloped with grant funding after years of lying derelict. Located behind Friars Walk car park.